Law 4936 (Government Gazette A’ 105/27 – 05 2022), “Climate Law – Transition to climate neutrality and adaptation to climate change, urgent provisions to address the energy crisis and protect the environment”, establishes measures and policies for the country’s adaptation to climate change and ensuring the carbon pathway to 2050.
In particular, they shall establish:
- Measures and policies to enhance adaptation to climate change at the lowest possible cost.
- Intermediate targets for mitigation of anthropogenic emissions for 2030 and 2040.
- Indicators to monitor progress towards the achievement of the relevant objectives.
- Procedures for evaluating and adjusting targets and taking additional measures.
- Measures to mitigate emissions from power generation, the building sector, transport and business.
The provisions of the Climate Law include the adoption of measures for the reduction of CO2 emissions in businesses and more specifically, it stipulates that the following legal entities must submit, by 31st of October 2023, a report on their carbon footprint for the reference year 2022 to a publicly accessible electronic database implemented and operated by the Natural Environment and Climate Change Agency. The report will include voluntary targets and actions to reduce or offset emissions.
- Limited companies with shares or other securities listed on a regulated market in Greece
- Insurance companies
- Investment firms
- Fixed and mobile telephony companies
- Water supply and sewerage companies
- Courier companies
- Electricity and gas supply companies
- Retail chains employing more than five hundred (500) employees
- Logistics service providers
- Urban transport companies
In the context of the harmonization of Greek businesses with the national Climate Law, HBI offers consulting services in the following areas:
- Corporate Carbon Footprint calculation using the ISO 14064 standard.
- Calculation of the Product Carbon Footprint using the ISO 14067 standard.
- Calculating the Carbon Footprint of the Supply Chain.
- Implementation of a Carbon Neutrality Study.